Thursday, October 23, 2008

Chapter 4: A New Beginning


This is where I find myself at the Big Pond gazing out over all of the activity. Earlier in the day I was at the Upper Pond where I told you what took place in chapter 1.
The Big Pond is different from the Upper Pond. The Upper Pond is a small pond that is surrounded by pine trees around the edge of the bank and then is swallowed up in the great big forest. It is a place where the cat tails stand proud as they watch over their secret haven. There are the water lilies which float with little effort and shyly greet the morning as they open up their flowers and give joy to the pond. You can almost hear the pond bubble up as it boasts about how lovely the lilies are doing this year if the frogs care to leap in and check them out. It is a quiet pond, however, it is a place of peace, calmness and solitude.
Now, the Big Pond on the other hand is always busy. It too is surrounded by trees and all of natures wonder.It's a pond that reaches back into the woods where it creates homes for geese and other birds and animals. It is clear and open and not as shy as the Upper Pond. This is a pond where the geese gossip openly, the red wing and tri colored black birds wait patiently for me to bring them food, the beavers bustle around always in a hurry, and occasionally we'll have a deer peep out to see what's going on. A busy place with much to learn and observe if given the proper time and attention. There is always something trying to teach you if you quiet yourself and look around.
It was a lesson I longed to learn and there was something inside that said, " The time is now, and the time is you."
The first day I went to the big pond I didn't have a notebook or anything I was just going for a walk to check out how green everything looked after the cold winter. As I sat there I received a lot of messages as I did before. So, I sat and watched the geese (which I will be calling soul mates through the rest of the book). The reason I address them as soul mates as they mate for life and will literally pine to death over the loss of their mate.So, that day as I sat and watched them, I noticed they were eyeing me up nervously. No doubt saying to one another, " who is this girl who sits on the bank and watches us." The birds flew carelessly overhead and eventually had surrounded by the time that I had left that day. The heron flew away because it did not yet trust this strange being at the pond. It took me sometime to win over the herons trust but that story I shall share with you later. As I stood up to leave that day I vowed to come back the following day.As, I started to leave that day, I felt a sadness rush over me because I didn't want to leave. It was then that I knew I was home. I couldn't wait for my new adventure to start.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

You are quite creative and descriptive. I look forward to reading more.